Sep 6, 2009 - by Steve Gerweck
Real name: David Finlay Jr.
Weight: 230 lbs.
Date of birth: January 31, 1958
From: Belfast, Ireland
Pro debut: 1978
Trained by: Ted Betley
Finishing move: Tombstone Piledriver
– Finlay defeated Ringo Rigby on February 24, 1983 in the finals of a tournament in Oldham, England to gain the vacate British Light Heavyweight title. Finlay reclaimed the title in February 1984.
– On February 5, 1990, Finlay defeated Tony St. Clair in Croydon, England to capture the British Heavyweight title.
– Finlay and Marty Jones defeated Miles Zrno and St. Clair on June 23, 1990 to capture the CWA (Catch Wrestling Association) Tag Team title in Graz, Austria.
– On December 21, 1991, Finlay defeated Steven Wright in Brehem, Germany for the CWA World Middleweight title.
– Finlay and Pegasus Kid beat Negro Casas and Eddy Guerrero on April 30, 1992 in Tokyo, Japan.
– On December 19, 1992, Finlay defeated Eddie Gilbert to regain the CWA Middleweight title.
– In 1993, Finlay captured the CWA Intercontinental title.
– On December 14, 1993, Finlay beat St. Clair to claim the CWA British Commonwealth title.
– For a time, Finlay competed as the Belfast Bruiser in WCW.
– On the May 4, 1998 edition of “Nitro,” Finlay pinned Booker T for the WCW World Television title in Indianapolis, IN.
– At Slamboree ’98, Finlay successfully defended the WCW Television title against Chris Benoit.
– At Souled Out ’99, Finlay defeated Van Hammer.
– At Bash at the Beach ’99, Finlay survived the Hardcore Junkyard Invitational match to claim the Hardcore trophy.
– On a July 25, 1999 house show in Jackson, MS, Finlay suffered a lacerated nerve in his knee in a match with Brian Knobs.
– After retiring from the ring, Finlay accepted a road agent position with WWE.
– Finlay returned to the talent roster in early 2006 on Smackdown.
– Despite losing to Benoit at Judgment Day ’06, Finlay used his shillelagh on Bobby Lashley to allow Booker T to win the finals of the 2006 King of the Ring tournament.
– At the July 11, 2006 Smackdown tapings in Minneapolis, MN, Finlay defeated Lashley to capture the U.S. title.
– Finlay defeated William Regal at the Great American Bash ’06 to retain the U.S. title.
– At No Way Out ’07, Finlay and Litte B. defeated Boogeyman and Mini Boogeyman.
– Finlay defeated The Great Khali at the 2007 Armageddon PPV.
– Finlay revealed that he was Hornswoggle’s “father,” and not Mr. McMahon.
– On June 25, 2008, Finlay was drafted to the ECW roster during the Supplemental draft.
– At Armageddon ’08, Finlay defeated Mark Henry in a “Belfast Brawl” match.
– On June 29, 2009, Finlay was traded to Smackdown.
– At Bragging Rights ’09, Team SmackDown (Chris Jericho, Kane, R-Truth, Matt Hardy, Finlay, The Hart Dynasty (Tyson Kidd and David Hart Smith) defeated Team Raw (D-Generation X (Triple H and Shawn Michaels), The Big Show, Cody Rhodes, Jack Swagger, Kofi Kingston and Mark Henry).
– In early 2010, Finlay was removed from the active roster.
– In March 2011, Finlay was fired as a producer.
– Finlay defeated Starbuck on November 24, 2011 at Korakuen Hall via a tombstone piledriver to win the SMASH heavyweight championship.
– In July 2012, WWE re-hired Finlay as a producer.