Sep 5, 2009 - by Steve Gerweck
Real name: John Cena
Weight: 240 lbs.
Date of birth: April 23, 1977
Hometown: West Newbury, MA
Pro debut: 2001
Trained by: UPW
Finishing move: Throw Back
– Cena made his ring debut for Rick Bassman’s UPW (Universal Pro Wrestling) group, a former WWF developmental territory.
– In UPW, Cena became Prototype.
– On April 27, 2000, Prototype defeated Smelly to capture the UPW title in San Diego, CA.
– Impressing WWF talent scouts, Cena signed a developmental deal with the company.
– In the spring of 2001, the WWF assigned the Prototype to Ohio Valley Wrestling for further training and development.
– In OVW, Cena teamed up with Rico Costantino.
– On August 1, 2001, Cena and Costantino captured the vacant OVW Tag Team titles by winning a tournament.
– On February 20, 2002, Prototype defeated Leviathan (Bastista) in Jeffersonville, IN for the OVW title.
– Cena made his WWE television debut on the June 27, 2002 edition of “Smackdown,” answering Kurt Angle’s challenge.
– On the July 11, 2002 episode of “Smackdown,” Cena teamed with the Undertaker to defeat Angle and Chris Jericho.
– The next night in Louisville, Cena, with Kenny “The King” Bolin in his corner, returned to OVW and defeated Chris Kanyon.
– In his WWE PPV debut at Vengeance in Detroit, MI, Cena defeated the first ever Undisputed champion, Chris Jericho.
– On the July 25, 2002 edition of “Smackdown,” Cena defeated Test.
– Two weeks later on “Smackdown,” Cena teamed with Edge and Rey Mysterio Jr. to defeat Angle, Chris Benoit, and Eddy Guerrero.
– On October 27, 2002, Cena defeated Val Venis in Sheffield, England.
– On the January 16, 2003 edition of “Smackdown,” Cena turned against tag team partner B squared (Bull Buchanan).
– Cena defeated Benoit on the April 17, 2003 episode of “Smackdown” to earn a WWE title shot at Backlash.
– At Judgment Day ’03, Cena, Chuck Palumbo, and Johnny Stamboli defeated Brian “Spanky” Kendrick, Chris Benoit, and Rhyno.
– On July 17, 2003, Cena defeated Billy Gunn in Yokohama, Japan.
– At the 2003 Survivor Series, Team Angle (Angle, Benoit, Cena, Bradshaw and Hardcore Holly) defeated Team Lesnar (Lesnar, Matt Morgan, Nathan Jones, Big Show, and A-Train).
– At Wrestlemania XX in New York, NY, Cena defeated the Big Show to capture the U.S. title.
– Cena successfully defended the U.S title against Rene Dupree at the 2004 Judgment Day PPV.
– At the 2004 Great American Bash, Cena defeated Dupree, Booker T, and Rob Van Dam in a four way elimination match to retain the U.S. title.
– On the July 8, 2004 edition of “Smackdown,” General Manager Kurt Angle stripped Cena of the U.S. title.
– At Summerslam ’04, Cena defeated Booker T in the first match in a best of five series for the U.S. title.
– Cena defeated Booker T at No Mercy 2004 in E. Rutherford, NJ in match 5 of a best of five series to regain the U.S. title.
– At Survivor Series ’04, Team Guerrero (Cena, Rob Van Dam, Eddy Guerero, and the Big Show) defeated Team Angle (Kurt Angle, Mark Jindrak, Luther Reigns, and Carlito Caribbean Cool).
– At the November 16, 2004 “Smackdown” taping in Dayton, OH, Cena defeated Carlito Caribbean Cool to regain the U.S. title.
– At Armageddon ’04, Cena successfully defended the U.S. title against Jesus in a “street fight” match.
– Cena defeated Kurt Angle at No Way Out ’05 to earn a WWE title shot against JBL at Wrestlemania XXI.
– At Wrestlemania 21 in Los Angeles, CA, Cena defeated JBL to win the WWE title.
– At Judgment Day ’05, Cena defeated JBL in an “I Quit” match to retain the WWE title.
– On the June 6, 2005 edition of “Raw,” Cena was the first pick in the 2005 draft lottery by Eric Bischoff.
– At Vengeance ’05, Cena defeated Christian and Chris Jericho to retain the WWE title.
– Cena defeated Y2J at Summerslam ’05 to successfully defend the WWE title.
– At Taboo Tuesday ’05, Cena defeated Shawn Michaels and Kurt Angle to retain the spinning WWE title.
– Despite Daiviri been assigned as the special guest referee, Cena defeated Angle at the 2005 Survivor Series to successfully defend the WWE title.
– At New Year’s Revolution ’06, Cena won the elimination chamber match which also included Kurt Angle, Chris Masters, Shawn Michaels, Carlito, and Kane.
– Three weeks after losing the WWE title, Cena regained the gold at the 2006 Royal Rumble in Miami, FL by beating Edge.
– At Wrestlemania 22, Cena defeated Triple H to retain the WWE title.
– Cena defeated Triple H and Edge at the 2006 Backlash to remain WWE champion.
– Cena defeated Sabu in an “extreme lumberjack” match at Vengeance ’06.
– At Unforgiven ’06 in Toronto, Cena defeated Edge in a TLC match to regain the WWE championship.
– At Survivor Series ’06, Team Cena (Cena, Kane, Bobby Lashley, Rob Van Dam and Sabu) defeated Team Big Show (Big Show, Test, Umaga, MVP and Finlay).
– Cena and Batista defeated Finlay and Booker T at Armageddon ’06.
– At New Year’s Revolution ’07, Cena defeated Umaga to retain the WWE title.
– At the Royal Rumble ’07, Cena defeated Umaga in a “last man standing match” to remain WWE champion.
– On the January 29, 2007 episode of “Raw” in Dallas, TX, Cena and Shawn Michaels defeated Rated RKO (Edge and Randy Orton) to capture the World Tag Team titles.
– At No Way Out ’07, Cena and Michaels defeated The Undertaker and Batista.
– At Wrestlemania 23, Cena defeated Michaels to remain WWE champion.
– Cena defeated Michaels, Randy Orton, and Edge at Backlash ’07 to retain the WWE title.
– Cena defeated The Great Khali at Judgment Day ’07 to remain WWE champion.
– At One Night Stand ’07, Cena defeated The Great Khali in a “falls count anywhere” match to retain the WWE title.
– Cena defeated Mick Foley, Randy Orton, King Booker and Bobby Lashley in a WWE championship challenge to retain the WWE title at Vengeance ’07.
– At the 2007 Great American Bash, Cena defeated Lashley to remain WWE champion.
– At Summerslam ’07, Cena defeated Randy Orton to retain the WWE title.
– Despite being out of action with an injury, Cena won the 2008 Royal Rumble match.
– At Judgment Day ’08, Cena defeated JBL.
– At One Night Stand ’08, Cena defeated JBL in a “first blood” match.
– On the August 4, 2008 edition of Raw, Cena and Batista defeated Ted DiBiase Jr. and Cody Rhodes for the World Tag Team titles in Knoxville, TN.
– Cena underwent neck surgery on August 26, 2008 in Pittsburgh, PA.
– At the Survivor Series ’08 in Boston, MA, the returning Cena defeated Chris Jericho to capture the World Heavyweight title.
– Cena defeated Jericho at Armageddon ’08 to remain World Heavyweight champion.
– At Royal Rumble ’09, Cena defeated JBL to retain the World Heavyweight title.
– At Wrestlemania 25 in Houston, TX, Cena defeated Edge and The Big Show to regain the World Heavyweight championship.
– Cena defeated The Big Show at the 2009 Judgment Day PPV.
– At Extreme Rules ’09, Cena defeated The Big Show in a submission match.
– At The Bash, Cena defeated The Miz.
– Cena defeated Randy Orton at Breaking Point in Montreal to capture the WWE title in an “I Quit” match.
– At Bragging Rights ’09 in Pittsburgh, PA, Cena defeated Randy Orton in a 60-man Iron Man match to capture the WWE title.
– At Survivr Series ’09, Cena defeated Triple H and Shawn Michaels.
– Cena won the Raw elimination chamber to briefly hold the WWE championship at the Elimination Chamber PPV in St. Louis, MO.
– On April 25, 2011, Cena was drafted to Smackdown, but at the end of Raw, he was drafted back to Raw.
– At Extreme Rules ’11, Cena defeated The Miz and John Morrison in a cage match to win the WWE championship.
– At WWE Over the Limit, Cena defeated The Miz to retain the WWE title in an “I Quit” match.
– Cena defeated R-Truth at the 2011 Capitol Punishment PPV to remain WWE champion.
– Cena defeated Rey Mysterio on the July 25, 2011 edition of “Raw” to win the WWE title (although the official title belt remained in the possession of CM Punk) in Hampton, VA.
– At WWE Night of Champions ’11, Cena defeated Alberto Del Rio to regain the WWE title in Buffalo, NY.
– At Elimination Chamber ’12, Cena defeated Kane in an Ambulance match.
– Cena defeated Brock Lesnar at Extreme Rules ’12.
– At No Way Out ’12, Cena defeated The Big Show.
– At Money in the Bank ’12, Cena defeated Kane, Chris Jericho, Big Show and The Miz to win the Money in the Bank brief case.
– Cena won the 2013 Royal Rumble, and earned the right to rematch with The Rock at Wrestlemania 29.
– At Wrestlemania 29, Cena defeated The Rock to win the WWE title in East Rutherford, NJ.
– At Payback ’13, Cena defeated Ryback in a “Three Stages of Hell match” to retain the WWE title.