Hacksaw Jim Duggan
Sep 5, 2009 - by Steve Gerweck
Real name: Jim Duggan
Weight: 280 lbs.
Date of birth: January 14, 1954
From: Glenn Falls, NY
Pro debut: 1979
Trained by: Fritz Von Erich
Finishing move: Running Clothesline Tackle
- In 1978, Duggan was trained to wrestle at the sportatorium in Dallas, TX.
- After stints with the WWWF and Georgia Championship Wrestling, Duggan moved onto Bill Watts’ Mid South Wrestling promotion in 1981.
- On July 7, 1982, Duggan beat King Cobra.
- Duggan pinned Mike Sharpe on October 13, 1982, for the Louisiana Heavyweight title. The title was eventually abandoned.
- On July 16, 1983, Duggan defeated Ted DiBiase at the Superdome in New Orleans, LA in a “lights out” match.
- Magnum T.A. and Duggan captured the Mid-South Tag Team title from DiBiase and Mr. Olympia on July 24, 1983.
- Duggan pinned Krusher Kruschev in a “roulette coal miner’s glove” match before 23,000 fans in New Orleans.
- On March 16, 1986, Duggan defeated Buzz Sawyer for Dick Slater’s North American title in Oklahoma City, OK. A few months later the title became the UWF title.
- Duggan and Terry Taylor defeated Bill Irwin and Bad Leroy Brown for the UWF Tag Team title on December 27, 1986.
- In January 1987, Duggan signed with the World Wrestling Federation.
- At the 1987 Survivor Series, Randy Savage, Ricky Steamboat, Jake Roberts, Duggan, and Brutus Beefcake beat The Honky Tonk Man, Danny Davis, Harley Race, Hercules, and Ron Bass.
- Duggan won the 1988 Royal Rumble in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.
- In April 1988, Duggan defeated Hercules on an episode of NBC’s “Saturday Night’s Main Event.”
- At the 1989 Royal Rumble, the Hart Foundation and Duggan beat Dino Bravo, Jacques and Raymond Rougeau in a best of three falls match.
- Demolition and Duggan beat the late Andre the Giant, Akeem, and Big Boss Man at Summerslam ’89.
- Duggan pinned the Big Bossman at the 1990 Royal Rumble in Orlando, FL.
- At the 1990 Summerslam, Duggan and Nikolia Volkoff defeated The Orient Express.
- At the 1990 Survivor Series in Hartford, Hulk Hogan, Duggan, Big Boss Man, and Tugboat (The Hulkamaniacs) beat Earthquake, Haku, Dino Bravo, and The Barbarian (The Natural Disasters).
- Hacksaw defeated Dino Bravo at Wrestlemania VI.
- At the 1991 Survivor Series, Sgt. Slaughter, Duggan, Kerry Von Erich, and Tito Santana beat Col. Mustafa, The Berzerker, Skinner, and Hercules.
- Sgt. Slaughter and Duggan beat The Beverly Brothers on the February 8, 1992 edition of “Saturday Night’s Main Event.”
- On April 5, 1992, the Big Boss Man, Virgil, Sgt. Slaughter, and Duggan beat The Nasty Boys, the Repo Man, and The Mountie at Wrestlemania VIII.
- Duggan left the WWF in 1994 and signed with WCW.
- Duggan pinned Steve Austin in 35 seconds to win the United States title at Fall Brawl ’94 in Roanoke, VA.
- At SuperBrawl V on February 19, 1995, Duggan pinned Bunkhouse Buck.
- VK Wallstreet and Duggan beat Steven Regal and David Taylor at the 1996 Slamboree.
- In the summer of 1998, Duggan was diagnosed with kidney cancer.
- The Revolution beat Duggan, Kevin Sullivan, Mike Rotunda, and Rick Steiner when the Varsity Club turned against Hacksaw at Starrcade ’99.
- Duggan found the deserted Television title belt in the trash can on a February 2000 episode of WCW Saturday Night. He defended the title until it was declared vacant on April 10th.
- Following a short absence from television, Duggan returned to “Nitro” on June 26, 2000 to square off with Goldberg. Duggan’s wife Debra was seen on television before and after the match.
- On the September 11, 2000 episode of “Nitro,” Duggan “retired” and passed on his patented American flag to General Rection.
- At Fall Brawl 2000, Duggan turned against General Rection, allowing Lance Storm to defeated him and retain the United States title and possession of Major Gunns.
- At the Sin PPV, Team Canada (Storm, Elix Skipper, and Mike Awesome) defeated the Filthy Animals (Kidman, Mysterio, and Konnan) in a “penalty box” match. Duggan served as the guest referee.
- On December 30, 2001 at the Molson Centre in Montreal, Duggan defeated Serge Rolland for Jacques Rougeau’s Lutte International 2000 promotion.
- Duggan defeated Kamala on June 22, 2002 in Atlantic City, NJ.
- On March 12, 2003, Duggan defeated Mike Sanders on a NWA TNA PPV.
- On August 31, 2004, Duggan won a tournament in Tokyo, Japan (being managed by his wife as “Diamond Debra”) to claim the IWA Japan title.
- Duggan showed up on the June 5, 2006 edition of “Raw” as Eugene’s tutor.
- Duggan was inducted by Ted DiBiase into the WWE Hall of Fame on April 2, 2011 in Atlanta, GA.